Experimental Design References
In a paper, answer the following questions:
1. Jackson (2012) even-numbered Chapter Exercises (p. 244).
- You read in a health magazine about a study in which a new therapy technique for depression was examined. A group of
depressed individuals volunteered to participate in the study, which lasted 9 months. There were 50 subjects at the beginning
of the study and 29 at the end of the 9 months. The researchers claimed that of those who completed the program, 85%
improved. What possible confounds can you identify in this study?
- What are internal validity and external validity, and why are they so important to researchers?
- What are the similarities and differences between within-subjects and matched-subjects
2. What is the purpose of conducting an experiment? How does an experimental design accomplish its purpose?
3. What are the advantages and disadvantages of an experimental design in a business study?
4. What is more important in an experimental study, designing the study in order to make strong internal validity claims or strong external validity claims? Why?
5. In an experiment, what is a control? What is the purpose of a control group? Of single or multiple comparison groups?
6. What are confounds? Give an example of a design that has three confounds. Describe three ways to alter the design to address these confounds and explain the advantages and disadvantages of each.
7. What does "cause" mean and why is it an important concept in research? How are correlation and causation related?
8. You are a researcher interested in addressing the question: does smiling cause mood to rise (i.e., become more positive)? Sketch between-participants, within-participants, and matched-participants designs that address this question and discuss the advantages and disadvantages of each to yielding data that help you answer the question. Describe and discuss each design in 4-5 sentences.
References: At least five (5) resources. In addition to these specified resources, other appropriate scholarly resources, including older articles, may be included.
Length: 5- 7 pages
Use current APA standards.© SolutionLibrary Inc. solutionlibary.com December 5, 2020, 7:25 am 9836dcf9d7 https://solutionlibrary.com/business/business-management/experimental-design-references-j689