Health Care Policy Explanation
Select a recent (within the last 5 years) health care policy that has had substantial impact on consumers. In particular, look at a high-impact health care policy to analyze the diverse and divergent perspectives that informed its development and then assess its impact at the local organizational level.
• American Hospital Association (AHA)
• Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS)
• The Kaiser Family Foundation
• Robert Wood Johnson Foundation (RWJF)
• American Public Health Association (APHA)
• American Association of Retired Persons (AARP)
After choosing a health care policy, select a local health care organization that is impacted by that policy. This might be a public agency, a health care facility, or any organization substantially influenced by the policy. It also might be the health care organization in which you work. As an administrator in this organization, you have been tasked with preparing an assessment of the impact of the policy on the organization's operations and outcomes. This task requires you to take a large and complex topic (the policy) and synthesize it into digestible information that organizational stakeholders can strategically use to address issues raised by the policy.
For Part 1 of this assessment, you will create a PowerPoint presentation that explains key points related to the health care policy you selected. This presentation is designed to inform and precede the dissemination of an in-depth policy assessment regarding the impact of the policy on the organization.
In a 12- to 15-slide PowerPoint presentation:
• Briefly describe the issue addressed by the policy as well as the background of the policy's formulation.
• Identify key stakeholders involved in the evolution of this policy. Briefly explain the overarching perspectives of these stakeholders with regard to the policy.
• Define which of the stakeholders would be considered advocacy groups and which would be classified as business interests.
Explain how you differentiate the two categories and why this differentiation matters.
• Explain the impact of the policy on key stakeholders (not necessarily within the organization). For example, how does the policy impact consumers? A health care organization? An insurance company? Providers?
• Explain the role of various government agencies and officials, including public health agencies, in the formulation and implementation of the policy.
• Explain the ongoing role of law and regulation in the formulation and implementation of the policy.
For Part 2, you will write an in-depth policy assessment that synthesizes the impact of the health care policy on the organization.
In a 2- to 3-page executive summary:
• Briefly discuss the relevance of the policy to the organization.
• Explain areas within the organization that will be affected by the policy.
• Identify key organizational stakeholders impacted by this policy. Explain how they will be affected.
• Assess any community impact that will need to be taken into consideration.
• Describe the expected impact of the policy on organizational outcomes.