Toyota recalls case study
Using the case study attached:
1. Did Toyota handle its recalls ethically? Why and why not?
2. What changes would you recommend to Toyota's crisis management approach? Why?
3. Do you think that Mr. Toyoda's testimony on February 24, 2010 was effective? How might it be improved?
4. Toyota did not immediately disclose that each car carried an airplane-style "black box" that recorded details on how the car was functioning. Was this timing appropriate?
5. What possible reasons could account for Toyota's delay in advising the NHTSA of the problems known on September 29, 2009?
6. Can Toyota recover from these recall problems? If so, how long will that take? What would Toyota have to do to recover fully?