Elements of American Realism
Give examples proving that James' The Turn of the Screw possesses two of the following characteristics of American realism:
• Describes reality in comprehensive detail
• Characters are more important than the plot and action
• Complex ethical choices are often the subject of the literature
• Characters are related to nature, to each other, to their social class and to their own past. This relation makes up the complexity of their temperament and motive.
• Class is important (usually describes the middle class)
• Events are usually plausible
• Diction is natural, not heightened or poetic.