Lord of the Rings Study Guide
Some sample guided questions to understand the novel "The Lord of the Rings".© SolutionLibrary Inc. solutionlibary.com 9836dcf9d7 https://solutionlibrary.com/english-language-and-literature/literature-arts/lord-of-the-rings-study-guide-31t
...en wrote a lecture, "On Fairy-Stories," (see "Tree and Leaf" in The Tolkien Reader).
a) How did he apply the ideas from that lecture to The Lord of the Rings?
b) Why did he apply the ideas from that lecture to The Lord of the Rings?
3. J. R.R. Tolkien is often considered the "father of fantasy," but he was not the FIRST to write in the genre. How have Tolkien's contributions led to this title?
4. Is The Lord of the Rings an expanded version of The Hobbit? Why/Why not?
5. How does Tolkien use the imagery of stars and shadow as symbols for good and evil?
6. What role does language play in The Lord of the Rings?
QUESTIONS ABOUT THE CHARACTERS:
1. What are some similarities and dissimilarities between Frodo and Bilbo?
a) Are these issues relevant? Why/Why not?
2. The different races in The Lord of the Rings each have their own "personalities."
a) Briefly describe their characteristics (i.e. strengths, weakness, skills, history, etc.)
b) Compare and contrast the races.
c) How do they contribute to the overall "world"?