Virtually interview two retirees (one male and one female) to answer these questions:
- How did you prepare financially for retirement?
- How did you prepare psychologically for retirement?
- Did the thought of retirement scare you? Why or why not?
- How do you spend your time?
- What types of social activities do you participate in?
- What are your thoughts and feelings about retirement? Do you like it? Why or why not?
1. Summarize the findings from your two interviews, noting similarities and differences in general, and specifically as they appear to relate to gender.
2. Explain the impact of individual and sociocultural factors on retirement adjustment for your two interviewees.
3. Integrate the Learning Resources above and the information gathered from the virtual interviews to identify and explain factors that contribute to optimal or less-than-optimal adjustment in and to retirement.
Bowling, A, (2007). Aspirations for older age in the 21st century: What is successfulaging? International Journal of Aging & Human Development, 64(3), 263-297.
Lowis, M. J., Edwards, A. C., & Burton, M. (2009). Coping with retirement: Wellbeing,health and religion. Journal of Psychology, 143(4), 427-448.
Reitzes, D. C., & Mutran, E. J. (2004). The transition to retirement: stages and factors that influence retirement adjustment. International Journal of Aging & Human Development, 59(1), 63-84.